Shanzu Teachers’ Training College, is built on a 45 hectare plot, 16km North of Mombasa Island, along the Mombasa/Malindi road near Shimo La Tewa Primary School, Mombasa County.
THE ORIGIN OF SHANZU TEACHERS TRAINING COLLEGE
Shanzu Teachers’ Training College resulted from amalgamation of four (04) smaller Teachers Training Colleges namely:
1. Coast Teachers’ Training College - Mombasa District
2. Bura Teachers’ Training College - Taita District
3. Mutune Teachers’ Training College - Kitui District
4. Ribe Teachers’ Training College - Kilifi District.
Shanzu Teachers’ Training College started operating with effect from May, 1967. It started training P1, P2 and P3 teachers. At the moment, the College has diversified its training opportunities, as part of its contribution to the fulfillment of Vision 2030. It trains P1 teachers, ECDE teachers and also offers Diploma and Certificate courses in Business related fields.
The student population has grown from the initial 127 in 1967, when the College opened its doors for the 1st group, to the current 850 students, because we have only one group of students (2nd years) as P1 is being phased out.
Shanzu Teachers’ Training College aims at producing professional teachers and high caliber Business graduates. Our goal as an institution has always been:
1. To produce high quality teachers capable of teaching effectively and efficiently, having been equipped with the relevant skills; undergone vigorous, well-coordinated academic, professional and co-curricular activities; ready to serve and operate under varied conditions. The teachers are prepared to teach competently in any primary school in Kenya and beyond.
2. To produce high quality Business Managers and Technicians capable of making a mark in the public and private sectors of our economy.
BOARD OF MANAGEMENT - MEMBERS
1. MR. TAMIMI LEWA CHIBORORO - CHAIRMAN
2. FR. MARXWEL OKELLO (REPRESENTING THE SPONSORS, (CATHOLIC CHURCH) - MEMBER
3. MR. AHMED MOHAMED ABEID (REPRESENTING THE SPONSOR, MUSLIMS) - MEMBER
4. REV. JOSHUA IKIAO (REPRESENTING THE SPONSORS, METHODIST CHURCH) - MEMBER
5. MR. SAMUEL NGUMA (REPRESENTING THE SPONSORS, ANGLICAN) - MEMBER
6. SHEIKH KHALIFA MOHAMED ALI - MEMBER
7. MR. DAVID LANG’AT - MEMBER
8. MR. EMMANUEL MKOBA - MEMBER
9. MS. ROSELYNE ANYANGO OGADA - MEMBER
10. MRS. BETTY MANENO - MEMBER
11. MRS. HILDA GATHURI - MEMBER
12. MS. AISHA RASHID - MEMBER
13. MRS. SELINA ABUKO (REPRESENTING THE INTEREST OF TEACHERS) - MEMBER
14. MR. JOHN MUHUYI CHIVILE - SECRETARY
15. THE REGIONAL COORDINATOR, COAST - EX-OFFICIO
16. THE COUNTY DIRECTOR OF EDUCATION, - EX-OFFICIO
17. SUB-COUNTY COMMISSIONER, KISAUNI DISTRICT, - EX-OFFICIO
18. SUB-COUNTY DIRECTOR OF EDUCATION, - EX-OFFICIO
19. WARD REPRESENTATIVE, MS. MAIMUNA SALIM - EX-OFFICIO
20. CHIEF ATHMAN FONDO - EX-OFFICIO
THE PRINCIPALS SINCE THE COLLEGE INCEPTION INCLUDE
1. MR. F. J. BENTLY - 1966 TO DECEMBER, 1968
2. MR. H. TSUMA - JANUARY, 1969 TO DECEMBER, 1969
3. MR. E. M. WALIAULA - JANUARY, 1970 TO DECEMBER, 1980
4. MR. C. ORIYA - JANUARY, 1981 TO DECEMBER, 1983
5. MR. THOMAS ARAP SAMBU - JANUARY, 1984 TO DECEMBER, 1989
6. MR. JUMA M. MWACHIHI (HSC) - JANUARY, 1990 TO APRIL, 1999
7. BISHOP JAMES K. ZIRO (HSC) - APRIL, 1999 TO AUGUST, 2016
8. MRS. MARGARET RUTTOH - SEPTEMBER, 2016 TO JANUARY, 2019
9. MR. JOHN MUHUYI CHIVILE - JANUARY, 2019 TO DATE
Welcome to Shanzu TTC, Mombasa